Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Goals

  Goals


Easy to set, yet if they aren’t realistic, they’re very easy to fail to attain. I think that is part of my problem with attaining the simple life that I long for. I have some great goals, but they’re too broad so therefore very hard to attain and hard to keep motivated to work toward those goals.

So, here I sit, disappointed in myself for not doing a good enough job at reaching my goals. Before bed last night I started to brainstorm about the word “simplify” I came up with several things, and I’m going to try and focus on one or two of those things instead of looking at the big picture, I need to get out the magnifying glass and look at a little portion of the simple life that I want.

To start with, one of the biggest things that hit me was that with less stuff, there is less to put away and keep clean. Over the last year of having our house on the market I have gotten rid of a lot of things, but we still have a lot more than a family of four needs.

I turned to a clean sheet of paper in my notebook and started listing what I could do to have less stuff. I truly am amazed at how little of the stuff I have actually gets used on a regular basis and I think that is where I’m going to shift my attention. How many clothes in my closet do I actually wear? Why am I hanging onto the rest? What about in the kitchen? That fondue pot that I got at a garage sale a few years ago and have used twice. It was fun to have fondue, but such a hassle and do I really think I need it? If I wanted to make fondue, couldn’t I just stick it in my smaller crockpot to stay warm? I think the fondue pot can go to the garage sale pile. What about my craft supplies? Much of it hasn’t been used in a long time, how much if it do I need, how much can I get rid of , or have an art day and dump it all out and have the kids create, take pictures of their creations then get rid of it.

So there you go, my goal of living a simpler life is still there, but I know it is a goal that will ongoing, I may never get to where I really want to be at a simple life, but simpler is okay, as long as I keep making steps forward.

So first step . . . keep purging out the unnecessary.

Wish me luck

sig-1

No comments: